This grant supports the production of a major, high-quality book profiling an established South Australian visual art, craft and design practitioner with a significant track record of achievement in their area of practice. The book is developed and published in conjunction with the Board of the SALA Festival and Wakefield Press.
The South Australian Living Artist Publication is designed to position South Australian visual art, craft and design practitioners in a national and/or international context by being a strategic promotional tool which assists in the development of their career profile.
Rather than taking a retrospective approach, the publication focuses on current practice and future directions through a comprehensive analysis of an artist’s conceptual ideas. It is intended to be a significant resource for curators, galleries, collectors and researchers.
The publication also aims to support the development and profile of South Australian arts writing through the commissioning of a professional arts writer (or writers) and a mentorship opportunity for an emerging South Australian arts writer.
Nominations are invited from individuals and organisations for professional practicing visual art, craft and design practitioners working and living in South Australia. Self-nominations are also accepted.
The writer will be commissioned to research and prepare a major essay of approximately 6,000 words, prepare a comprehensive CV and a bibliography of the artist and manage the selection, captioning and crediting of images used in the publication. The emerging writer will assist the writer at all stages of the project.
An indicative presentation plan and timeline must be included in nominations, however exhibition and representation opportunities may be unconfirmed at the time of nomination. It is expected that the timeline will include exhibition and representation opportunities of national and/or international significance.
Important note: to assist you with your nomination, read the Arts and Culture Grants Program General Guidelines before you apply.
October 2021 Round
$10,500 (writer/s fee)
6 September 2021
5 pm, 11 October 2021
17 December 2021
Funded activity commencement date
20 December 2021
- Nominees must be outstanding visual arts, craft and design practitioners who live and work in South Australia.
- Nominated writers must live and work in South Australia, and may include those who have previously written a book in this series.
- The writer(s) must be able to commit to providing a complete manuscript (ready for editing) and images by mid-January 2023.
- It is expected the nominated artist will have high quality images of their work available for reproduction in the book.
- Nominations should include an emerging arts writer to be mentored on the project.
- Nominations on behalf of an artist must include their contact details and signed permission.
- Nominations must include contact details and signed permission from all writers, including the emerging writer.
- Nominators can make more than one nomination.
- Nominators must be Australian Citizens or have permanent resident status and live, or be primarily located, in South Australia.
What this category funds
- A grant of $10,500 is available to pay the writer(s) and emerging writer to research and write the book for the successful nominee (amount shared between all writers).
What this category does not fund
- The successful artist is not paid a fee.
How to apply
Read How to Apply before you begin preparing your nomination.
There are four key elements to your nomination as listed below.
Click the ‘Apply Now’ button below to commence a nomination. Type/copy text into the provided fields.
Include names of nominator, nominated artist, writer/s and emerging writer.
Nomination detail and rationale
Refer to the Assessment Criteria and include:
- a brief outline of the writer(s) proposed approach to the topic (up to 500 words per writer)
- a statement about the significance of the opportunity for the nominated artist and how the book will be used as a promotional tool to secure future opportunities (up to 1000 words)
- an indication of available images of the nominated artist’s work (slides/transparencies and digital images at 300 DPI, A4 size).
Artists / Creatives
Upload CVs for:
- Nominated artist
- Emerging writer
Indicative presentation plan and timeline
Complete the table in the nomination form. Include detail of planning for a two year period from the launch of the book in 2023, which may include:
- exhibitions (confirmed and unconfirmed)
- art fairs
- new representation by dealers and galleries
- other opportunities of significance.
Upload letters of support (up to five) and signed confirmations from the nominated artist and writers (including their contact details) to the nomination form.
Combine documents where possible.
Upload Support Material to the application form.
Refer to How to Apply for information about Support Material.
You are not required to provide a budget for this category.
You will, however, need to submit the budget template in the online form to be able to complete your nomination.
- Type 0 in the Requested Amount field on the Project/Activity Information page.
- In the budget template, add an expenditure line with the value 0 in the Amount and Arts South Australia Funded fields.
- Click Recalculate Totals then click Submit at the bottom of the budget template.