A range of boards and committees operate in South Australia, including statutory authorities, government business enterprises, advisory boards and regulatory bodies. These bodies are diverse in terms of functions, form, size, level of responsibility and accountability.
Members may be drawn from the community or professional groups, and many are required by legislation to possess certain skills or qualifications.
The department is responsible for:
- issuing policies and guidelines for boards and committees
- determining board and committee remuneration arrangements
- administering the central boards and committees database (Boards and Committees Information System)
- production of government statistics and reports (including an annual report to Parliament)
- providing guidance and advice on all aspects of government boards and committees.