The State flag, badge and coat of arms are for official use by the Government of South Australia.
Under the Unauthorised Documents Act 1916 no one can print, publish or manufacture the symbols without permission, and they cannot be used for commercial purposes.
The Department of Premier and Cabinet’s Protocol Unit assesses applications for the use the State Insignia by external organisations. Please contact our Protocol Unit regarding the official use of these symbols and insignia.
The seven state emblems are unique representations of South Australia’s flora, fauna, cloth, geology and marine life.
Our seven emblems are:
- Floral Emblem: Sturt's Desert Pea (Swainsona Formosa)
- Faunal Emblem: Hairy-nosed wombat
- Gemstone Emblem: Opal
- Marine Emblem: Leafy Seadragon
- Fossil Emblem: Spriggina Floundersi
- Mineral Emblem: Bornite
- Tartan Emblem: South Australia (registered number 2534)
Department of Premier and Cabinet
Phone: (08) 8429 5135