South Australia is committed to supporting the Stolen Generations through the Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme.
The South Australian Government established an $11m Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme in 2015.
A $6m Individual Reparations Scheme provided ex-gratia payments to Aboriginal people who are eligible for reparations under the policy criteria of the scheme.
In 2018, a payment of $20,000 was made to eligible applicants. Payment of an additional $10,000 to these applicants is currently being arranged.
A further $5m was originally allocated to a Stolen Generations Community Reparations Fund. The Fund was established to recognise the grief, pain and loss experienced by Aboriginal communities, families and individuals and to also support a range of proposals that can assist in the healing process.
After two rounds of projects, just over $3m remained unspent.
As a result of this underspend, the Premier announced on 12 February 2019 that these funds would be redirected to the Individual Reparations Scheme, enabling an additional payment of $10,000 to be paid to those eligible under the scheme.
At the same time, the Premier released the Honourable John Hill’s Independent Assessor Report on the Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme
The Individual Reparations Scheme is no longer accepting applications.
The second ex gratia payment of $10,000 will be made in February or March 2019. The government will be writing to eligible persons shortly, however if you have changed postal addresses since early 2018 then please contact Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation using the details provided below.
Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation
Phone 08 8226 8900
For counselling and support, please visit the following organisations:
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Agency, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Phone 08 8406 1600
- Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement Phone 1800 643 222, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elm Place at Relationships Australia SA Phone 1800 188 118
Watto Purrunna Aboriginal Primary Health Care Service:
- Muna Paiendi, corner Mark and Oldham Roads, Elizabeth Vale SA 5112
Phone 08 8182 9206
- Maringga Turtpandi, GP Plus Super Clinic, 1 Gilles Crescent, Hillcrest SA 5086
Phone 08 7425 8900
- Wonggangga Turtpandi, corner Church and Dale Street, Port Adelaide SA 5015
Phone 08 9240 9611
- Kanggawodli, 16-22 Clements Street, Dudley Park SA 2250
Phone 08 8342 2250
Community Reparations Fund
The Community Reparations Fund was established to support projects that would promote healing for the Stolen Generations, their families and the wider community.
A funding round that was finalised in October 2017 enabled 20 projects to be funded to a total of $1.25m.
A second funding round was completed in 2018 and the following organisations were supported to undertake seven projects to a value of $406,565:
- Aged Rights Advocacy Service
- Ara Irititja Aboriginal Corporation
- Blackwood Reconciliation Group (funded for two projects)
- Port Lincoln Aboriginal Health Service
- SA Stolen Generations Aboriginal Corporation
- Yellaka Aboriginal Culture and Dance Group, auspiced by Tauondi Aboriginal Corporation
Summary of funded projects - round one (215.7 KB, PDF)
Summary of funded projects - round two (144 KB, PDF)
Community consultations identified possible project themes including oral histories, Aboriginal family and community history, healing, arts and cultural activities, memorials and places of reflection, and, preserving and making accessible documents that are important to Stolen Generations and their families.
Summary of consultations (2.78 MB, PDF)
Owing to the redirection of the unspent Community Reparations Fund to the Individual Reparations Scheme on 12 February 2019, the Fund is now closed.
For more information contact
Phone (08) 8463 6519
Mobile 0466 501 132