This policy assists South Australian Government agencies to recruit eligible and suitable employees by undertaking appropriate and consistent pre-employment screening and vetting processes for all employees.
Consistency in recruitment processes ensures a high-level of assurance that employees are fit to occupy their roles and undertake the responsibilities of their positions, including the protection of government information and resources.
Core requirement 10
Ensure the suitability of all new employees
To ensure the suitability of all new employees, agencies* must:
- ensure all pre-employment checks are conducted in accordance with the South Australian Information Privacy Principles (IPPS) Instruction
- undertake all mandatory pre-employment screening checks, including:
- a Pre-Employment Declaration consistent with the minimum standard issues by the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment
- identity and eligibility checks
- reference checks
- National Police Certificate or other appropriate background screening where required for the role
- any other checks that assist in determining an applicant’s suitability to hold the position and access South Australian Government information and resources
- identify and record all positions requiring a security clearance and the level of clearance required
- ensure people occupying identified positions hold valid security clearances issued by the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA), or another authorised vetting agency.
*This policy applies to all South Australian public sector agencies (as defined in section 3(1) of the Public Sector Act 2009) and to any other person or organisation that is generally subject to the direction of a Minister of the Crown; all of which are referred to in this policy as “Agencies”.