This policy forms part of the South Australian Protective Security Framework (SAPSF). It ensures all South Australian Government agencies provide timely, reliable and appropriate access to official information to assist in facilitating efficient and effective delivery of government services. Availability of accurate information aides in the development of new products and services, enhances consumer and business outcomes and assists with decision-making and policy development.
Ensure your agency’s information is available to those who need it.
To ensure your agency’s information is available to those who need it, you must:
- ensure information is accessed only by personnel with a legitimate need-to-know
- ensure personnel requiring ongoing access to sensitive information have undertaken the appropriate pre-employment screening checks
- ensure personnel requiring ongoing access to security classified information have the appropriate security clearance (see note 1) and meet any additional suitability requirements (see note 2)
- put in place an agreement or arrangement (see note 3) to enable sensitive or security classified information to be shared with personnel or organisations outside of the South Australian Government
- manage access to information systems by:
- applying the South Australian Recordkeeping Metadata Standard
- implement unique user identification, authentication and authorisation practices for each approval of system access
- ensure temporary access to security classified information is strictly controlled according to the requirements of this policy.
1. Some office holders are not required to hold a security clearance. See Security clearance exemptions under the guidance for the full list.
2. Some caveats or code word information may impose additional requirements on the individual in addition to the security clearance. Please refer to PSPF policy Access to information for more detail.
3. Such as a contract or deed which outlines how the information is to be used and what protections must be applied.