The South Australian Multicultural and Ethnic Affairs Commission (SAMEAC) is a statutory body that reports to the Premier, the Hon Steven Marshall MP, and the Assistant Minister to the Premier, the Hon Jing Lee MLC.
The Commission was established under the South Australian Multicultural and Ethnic Affairs Commission Act 1980 and its primary functions are to:
- increase awareness and understanding of the ethnic diversity of the South Australian community and the implications of that diversity
- advise the government and public authorities on, and assist them in, all matters relating to multiculturalism and ethnic affairs.
Since this legislation came into effect, South Australia’s population and multicultural landscape has changed significantly. Accordingly, Multicultural Affairs has undertaken a review of the Act, which is our state's key piece of multicultural legislation.
The review of the Act has provided the opportunity to develop revised legislation that affirms the government’s commitment to multiculturalism and its importance to South Australia.
Proposed legislation in the form of a Bill was introduced to Parliament on 14 October 2020. The South Australian Multicultural Bill 2020 is currently being considered in Parliament. Should the Bill pass through both Houses of Parliament it will become law.
More information is available on the Multicultural Legislative Review section of this site.
(08) 8429 7305
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, please contact us through:
- National Relay Service (Speak and Listen) call 1300 555 727
- National Relay Service (TTY users) call 133 677
- Internet Relay users can connect to the National Relay Service.
If English is not your preferred language, please contact the Interpreting and Translating Centre on 1800 280 203 and ask to speak with the Department of the Premier and Cabinet.
Complaints and feedback
We understand that mistakes happen despite our best efforts - make a complaint or provide feedback.
Monday to Friday 8.45am – 5.00pm excluding public holidays
GPO Box 2343
Adelaide SA 5001