The South Australian Multicultural and Ethnic Affairs Commission (SAMEAC) is a statutory body that reports to the Premier, the Hon Steven Marshall MP, and the Assistant Minister to the Premier, the Hon Jing Lee MLC.
The Commission was established under the South Australian Multicultural and Ethnic Affairs Commission Act 1980 and its primary functions are to:
- increase awareness and understanding of the ethnic diversity of the South Australian community and the implications of that diversity
- advise the government and public authorities on, and assist them in, all matters relating to multiculturalism and ethnic affairs.
Since this legislation came into effect, South Australia’s population and multicultural landscape has changed significantly. Accordingly, Multicultural Affairs is currently undertaking a review of the Act.
The government is committed to multicultural legislative reform that sets a foundation for new multicultural policy that reflects the state’s cultural, linguistic and religious diversity, recognises the valuable contribution of our diverse communities and supports the development of culturally responsive government services.
Community input is critical to ensuring that the new legislation reflects their views and needs.
More information is also available on the Multicultural Legislative Review section of this site.
The review is being led by Multicultural Affairs with support from the Commission’s members who will be attending the community forums to support community participation.
(08) 8429 5954
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, please contact us through:
- National Relay Service (Speak and Listen) call 1300 555 727
- National Relay Service (TTY users) call 133 677
- Internet Relay users can connect to the National Relay Service.
If English is not your preferred language, please contact the Interpreting and Translating Centre on 1800 280 203 and ask to speak with the Department of the Premier and Cabinet.
Complaints and feedback
We understand that mistakes happen despite our best efforts - make a complaint or provide feedback.
Monday to Friday 8.45am – 5.00pm excluding public holidays
GPO Box 2343
Adelaide SA 5001