Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation works with Aboriginal people, communities and organisations with a focus on:
- empowering Aboriginal people to have a stronger voice in government decision-making
- supporting the state’s three Aboriginal landholding authorities: the Aboriginal Lands Trust (ALT), Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) and Maralinga Tjarutja (MT)
- encouraging engagement with Aboriginal stakeholders by the government, business and community sectors
- recognising and celebrating the contributions of Aboriginal culture and peoples to South Australian society
- partnering with Aboriginal people to protect and preserve Aboriginal heritage
- working with Aboriginal South Australians to ensure that the needs of Aboriginal people and communities are met, including in areas of identified disadvantage, as well as those of strength.
The Premier, as the Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, has carriage of the following legislation: