Before making a determination, giving an authorisation or declaring by regulation a site or object under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988, the Premier, as the Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation, must take all reasonable steps to consult with:
- The State Aboriginal Heritage Committee; and
- Any Aboriginal organisation, Traditional Owners and other Aboriginal people that, in opinion of the Minister, have an interest in the matter.
Application for authorisation under sections 21, 23 & 29(1)(b) of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988 (SA)
Applicants: Dr Amy Roberts and Dr Mick Morrison of Flinders University
Project: Archaeological Excavation and Sampling in the Riverland
Application Area: 24 research zones in the Riverland region of South Australia within the Calperum Floodplain, the Pike Floodplain and Overland Corner
Application Type: Authorisations under sections 21, 23 & 29(1)(b) of the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988
The Premier, as Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation (AAR), has received an application for authorisation under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 1988 (the Act) from Associate Professor Dr Amy Roberts and Senior Lecturer Dr Mick Morrison, both employed by Flinders University (together the Applicants). The Applicants seek to enable archaeological excavation and sampling of Aboriginal heritage sites within the Riverland region of South Australia (the Project). The Project aims to facilitate better understanding of the ways in which Aboriginal people have utilised ecosystems along the central Murray River over time. The Project will be conducted with the support of, and in collaboration with, the River Murray and Mallee Aboriginal Corporation (RMMAC), who hold native title over the Project land.
The Applicants seek authorisations under the following sections of the Act:
- section 21; to authorise the excavation of land to uncover Aboriginal sites, objects and/or remains
- section 23; to authorise potential damage, disturbance and/or interference with Aboriginal sites, objects and/or remains
- section 29 (1)(b); to authorise the potential removal of Aboriginal objects from the state.
The Aboriginal heritage of interest to the Project includes middens, hearths and earth mounds. The Applicants advise they seek authorisations to enable the following specific activities:
- collecting and submitting C14 age samples (e.g. charcoal)
- excavation of open artefact sites and earth mounds
- lithic/faunal/floral/sediment sample collection and analysis
- historic artefact collection and analysis
- ochre collection and analysis.
Some, none or all of the above activities may be carried out in each research zone depending upon what is found in each place. While some subsurface excavation may be required, the Project will generally focus on artefacts collected from open (surface) artefact sites.
For further information relating to this Application, download a copy of the Consultation Information Pack. PDF, 12463.11 KB
Please call AAR on (08) 8226 8900 to request a hard copy of the Consultation Information Pack.
Consultation and submissions
Prior to considering whether to grant the authorisations sought by the Applicants, section 13 of the Act requires the Premier to take all reasonable steps to consult with:
- the State Aboriginal Heritage Committee (the Committee)
- Traditional Owners
- any other Aboriginal person or organisation that he considers may have an interest in the Project.
Accordingly, a consultation meeting will be held from 1:00 pm on Wednesday 19 June 2019 at The Berri Hotel, Riverview Drive, Berri SA, 5343. A light lunch will be provided for attended from 12 noon.
Verbal and written submissions are now invited from parties who satisfy the requirements of section 13 of the Act.
Submissions must be received no later than 5:00 pm (ACST) on Wednesday 26 June 2019.
For more information, or to lodge a written or verbal submission, please contact AAR on (08) 8226 8900, or write to:
Mr Alex van Wessem
Principal Project Officer (Heritage)
Department of the Premier and Cabinet, Aboriginal Affairs and Reconciliation
Postal Address: GPO Box 320 ADELAIDE SA 5001