Cabinet processes are currently under review; information, guides, and templates on this site may not be current. Updated information will be provided as soon as possible.
Cabinet Subcommittee considers matters that require Cabinet’s approval but which are not significant enough to warrant discussion at a Cabinet meeting.
Cabinet Subcommittee consists of the Attorney-General and the most junior minister on the order of precedence, and meets before each Cabinet meeting. The matters considered by Cabinet Subcommittee are:
- Board and committee appointments that are required to be made by the Governor
- Routine appointments that are required to be made by the Governor
- Judicial appointments that have been the subject of Cabinet notes
- Appointment of parliamentary support staff and other parliamentary housekeeping matters requiring formal approval by the Executive Council
- Appointments to interim vacancies for short periods
- Ministerial travel and the appointment of acting ministers (specific requirements for ministerial leave and travel are dealt with in Premier’s Guideline: Air Travel by Ministers and their Staff)
- Appointment of justices of the peace.
Working arrangements and remuneration
- Acceptance/noting of judges’ resignations
- Minor or routine changes to the remuneration of board or committee members.
Bills, regulations, proclamations and declarations
- Approval to introduce Bills that have been drafted in accordance with instructions previously approved by Cabinet
- Making regulations involving purely technical or routine matters (specific requirements for regulations are dealt with in more detail on the Legislation and Regulations page of this website)
- Issuing uncontentious proclamations and declarations
- Reference of hospital or university by-laws to the Governor for approval
- Minor matters where consultation has occurred and recommendations are in line with overall policy or previous in-principle decisions by Cabinet
Subcommittee submission attachments checklist
Use this checklist to ensure you attach all required information to your submission.