We are committed to improving the energy efficiency of homes and government buildings, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
South Australia's Strategic Plan
There are two energy efficiency targets in South Australia's Strategic Plan, which relate to improving the energy efficiency in homes and government buildings, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
South Australia's Strategic Plan includes a target of improving the energy efficiency of dwellings by 15% by 2020, with a milestone of 10% by 2014.
In 2012-13, the energy efficiency of South Australian dwellings had improved by 23.62% from the 2003-04 baseline, exceeding the 2014 milestone and the 2020 target.
This has been achieved through:
- managing air conditioner energy use
- introducing water heater installation requirements
- implementing six star energy efficiency requirements for new homes through the National Energy Efficient Building Project
- providing energy efficiency information and advice to households
- the Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme.
South Australia's Strategic Plan includes a target of improving the energy efficiency of government buildings by 30% by 2020, with a milestone of 25% by 2014.
In 2013-14, the energy efficiency of South Australian government owned and leased buildings improved by 23.8% compared to the 2000-01 baseline. While just below the 2014 milestone, the result is still on track to achieving South Australia's Strategic Plan Target 61 of 30% by 2020.
These energy efficiency improvements have been achieved by:
- moving to more energy efficient buildings
- undertaking building upgrades
- doing refurbishments that utilise more efficient fittings or equipment
- adopting behavioural change programs.
The Government of South Australia has a government energy efficiency strategy in place since 2002 – find out more about energy management within government buildings and view annual reports.
In 2015 the Government of South Australia established the Government Buildings Energy Efficiency Investment (GBEEI) program, which requires all government departments to investigate cost-effective energy efficiency opportunities at government-owned buildings.
Energy efficiency advice and support
The Government of South Australia has also developed a number of energy efficiency initiatives to support the community. Find out more about:
- South Australian Energy Productivity Program
- Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme
- free energy advice for the community
- energy efficiency for businesses – fact sheet PDF, 295.65 KB